Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Mango, pork, and watercress Salad - Meal #2


I love these make ahead meals,  but ehhhh...  this one is just okay.  In my opinion, it has way too many calories to be a worth it.  This salad also left me wanting more taste, which is sad given the fat content.  It wasn't bad, but for me it was a bit boring.  Next time I make it, I am substituting an orange juice based dressing to give it some more zest.  That or I will use a light salad dressing from the store to cut down on the fat content.  This recipe also calls for mangos, but I substituted plums after cutting into my mango and realized it was not ripe yet.  The plums paired well with the pork too.. but I think the Mango would have been the best selection.  This recipe is basically Rachel Ray's.  I changed the amounts of honey and EVOO.  No serving size is given on this recipe, but I believe it should serve two.  It could serve 4-6 as a side dish.

INGREDIENTS

1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp honey
3 tbsp EVOO
salt and pepper
1 cup Pulled Pork
7 cups watercress (5oz)
1 mango, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted

In a large bowl, whisk together lime juice, honey, and EVOO.  Season with 1/4 tsp salt.  Add pork and toss.  Add watercress, mango, bell pepper and shallot; season with salt and pepper.  Toss, then sprinkle with almonds.

Weight Watchers Points= 18.5 for one serving (seves two) 

 

1 comment:

  1. That's my main complaint with RR. Most of her stuff is flavorless in my opinion. A couple of mango hints: If doesn't give when you push it (think ripe peach), it isn't ready. Secondly, I've found canned mango is pretty good. I just drain and rinse it if it is packed in syrup. Mangos are rather a pain considering the pit is so big anyway, so unless I feel like peeling several and its a recipe where I absolutely need the taste of fresh, I used canned or if they are going to be pureed anyway, I use mango pulp from the freezer section at Latino food stores.

    ReplyDelete