Monday, June 20, 2011

Modern Pot Roast

I hate pot roast.  I loathe pot roast.  But Dustin loves loves loves pot roast.  So I have committed to creating a pot roast recipe that both he and I can love.  After searching high and low for recipes, I didn't find anything that I wanted to eat - so I created my own today.  To me the roast still tastes like roast... but the vegetables taste heavenly and there are enough flavors going on that I can actually like it.  I warn you pot roast purist out there however, this ain't your grandma's pot roast.   The ingredient list is long and not for the feint of heart.. and I am by no means a master chef.  But I think it turned out tasty and Dustin ate two helpings so it must have been okay.  He named it "Modern Pot Roast".  Also, since there is only two of us, I usually cut a roast in half and only use 1.5# at a time.  I think I will still continue to experiment with different types of roast, but this is worthy of repeating.

For crock pot preparation...

Ingredients

For the broth bath the roast and veggies cook in while simmering in the crock pot

1/2 c red wine vinegar
2 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T ketchup
3 T brown sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground mustard
2 cups beef broth

1.  Whisk all ingredients together and set aside.

for the garnishing of the roast

1 vidalia onion, minced
4 sprigs fresh oregano, finely chopped
6 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
6 stems fresh Italian flat parsley, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 ribs of celery (tops included), finely chopped
1 twelve ounce jar of roasted red peppers, chopped
6-8 small red potatoes (whatever your crock pot can hold with the roast)
1/2 small bag of baby carrots

1.  Set aside onion and garlic for later use.
2.  Combine herbs, celery, and peppers in a small bowl and set aside.
3.  Cut each potato in fourths and rinse carrots.


For the Roast - we are going to sear it before putting it in the crock pot

1.5# roast of choice
1 T Canola oil
salt
pepper

1.  Heat skillet (cast iron preferably) on high heat. 
2.  Once pan is very hot, add oil.
3.  Season roast with salt and pepper
4.  Add roast to pan and sear each side.  About 4-5 minutes a side.. depends on your pan.
5.  Remove roast from pan, and set aside.
6.  Add onions and garlic to pan.  Quickly saute and then add to the rest of the garnish.

Place broth bath in crock pot.  Add potatoes and carrots.  Then nestle roast in center of crock pot.  Take garnish and spread over top of roast, potatoes and carrots. Cook on low according to your crock pot's guide for pot roast.  I cooked mine for about 6 hours.  Could have gone for 8, but Dustin was hungry!  For my gravy, I didn't strain it - left all the garnish in it.  Tastes yummy that way - again.. not for purists!

For a gravy...
Make a basic rue. Add the broth.  Add some whipping cream or milk to make creamy.. 

For those of you asking.. what the heck is a rue? or I've never made gravy!!!!  Here you go.

Heat 2 T butter in saute pan.  Once melted.  Add one T of flour and mix together.  After mixed, add another tablespoon of flour.  It should be a thick substance by now.  If not, add a little more flour.   Then SLOWLY add two ladles full of beef broth bath from the roast at a time. Stir continuously.. it should thicken.  As it thickens, add two more ladles full.  Add broth 3-4 more times.  If you prefer a creamier gravy.. add a little heavy whipping cream, half and half, or just milk if its all you have.  Add it until it turns the color of gravy you like.. but do it slowly like you did the broth. 


 As far as WW points* .. depends on the cut of roast and amount amount of potatoes you eat.  It can be a pretty low point dish if you choose a leaner roast and use  low fat milk in your gravy instead of heavy whipping cream:)
*not endorsed or figured by WW - these are calculated by blog author

2 comments:

  1. I know well the search for a decent pot roast. I'm not a fan of most myself. Paula Deen converted me, though, with this one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/pot-roast-recipe/index.html. Your's looks awfully tasty, though--you may sway me from Paula yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definately look into that! I would like to have a few variations to work with. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete